Thursday, February 4, 2010

La Madeleine Tomato-Basil Soup

Okay Sutherland girls, I don't think you have a La Madeline restaurant in the Carolina's and Robin, I don't think there is one in Utah either?? Am I wrong? Anyway, I LOVE this place... umm, so good! Their soup is my favorite... particularly this one!! So, I was so so excited to find this recipe off of one of my favorite cooking blogs (Skip To My Lou). I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks now. Enjoy....

Ingredients:
4 cups tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped, or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
4 cups tomato juice
12 - 14 washed fresh basil leaves, plus additional for garnish, chopped or 1 TBS dried (fresh is better though)
1 cup whipping cream or half and half (again, whipping cream is better)
1/2 cup sweet, unsalted butter, softened
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Crusty bread (optional)

Directions:
Combine tomatoes and juice in saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat. Cool slightly, then place in a blender or food processor. Add basil and process to puree; this will have to be done in batches.
Return mixture to saucepan. Add cream and butter. Stir over low heat until butter and cream are incorporated. Stir in salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve with fresh, crusty bread.

Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment